A tether which has a tensile strength of 30 GPa-cc/g would be strong enough to create a useful Space Elevator provided the Climber power system can generate at least 1.5 kWatt/kg. If the tensile strength of the tether is only 25 GPa-cc/g, the power system needs to generate at least 3.5 kWatt/kg.
1. add replacement material to handle tether degradation
2. add material to increase the tether’s carrying capacity
3. hold a spare seed ribbon.
The faster your climbers climb then they can get high enough so that gravity weakens so you can launch another significant Climber.
– at 2,624 kilometers in height, a climber is one half of its ground weight
– at 6,400 kilometers in height, a climber is one quarter of its ground weight