• DD fueled Polywell will be smaller than ITER.
• Wiffleball effect is needed but remains to be seen.
• Neutral gas fuel must be tightly localized to control ions first-pass energy.
• Engineering design of the gas handling system will be challenging.
• Polywell remains a prime contender to solve the world’s energy crisis.
Future Goals of IEC at the University of Wisconson
* Understand & extend performance of the SIGFE 6 ion-gun device.
* Inject D, 3He into SIGFE at high energies to study D3He fusion.
* Demonstrate Differential Die Away (DDA) technique with DD fuel.
* Increase 3He3He fusion rates in HELIOS.
* Compare the experimental results to code predictions of the energy & spatial distribution of DD fusion events in an IEC device.
* Understand the effect of He on the morphology of tungsten IEC cathode grids.
* Measure the current densities & spatial profiles of negative ions emanating from the cathode region.