This is the seventh set of highlights for Next Big Future for 2009.
Nanotechnology and nanoscale tech
14. Maxing out VASIMR plasma rocket performance with vapor core fission reactors or IEC fusion reactors. Both VASIMR plasma rockets and vapor Core fission are enabled with powerful superconducting magnets.
Superconductors and Energy
15. Superconducting wire is improving fast and will enable many applications but lower cost and high volume production of wire is critical. Expect breakthroughs around 2016.
AI and computers
20. Peter Voss was Interviewed by Sander Olson on AGI (artificial general intelligence
Lasers, Metamaterials and Plasmonics
23. Shattering traditional notions of laser limits with plasmonic lasers
DARPA and Supersoldier tech
27. DARPA will build and ground test 750 kg 150 kilowatt laser in 2012
31. CEO of China’s Cosco is seriously considering nuclear merchant ships.
37. Fighting fat with brown fat cells
42. 3D bioprinters
43. Blacklight Power plans for 2010-2013