Rosatom director general Sergey Kiriyenko noted that Kalinin 4 was completed on schedule and for 7 billion rubles ($240 million) less than the 76 billion rubles ($2.4 billion) allocated to the project.
Kalinin 4 is a 950 MWe V-320 model VVER-1000 – the same as unit 3, which was approved in 1985 and eventually completed in 2004. Units 1 and 2 at the site are V-338 model VVER-1000s which began commercial operation in 1985 and 1987, respectively. The Kalinin plant is situated in the western Tver region near the town of Udomlya.
Unit 4 at Kalinin has had a long gestation period, having been approved under the Soviet system in 1985. Construction began in August 1986 but stalled in 1991 while the plant was only 20% complete. The project then spent a decade on hold before a return to full construction began in late 2007.
Russia now has 33 nuclear power reactors in operation with a combined capacity of 24,164 MWe and a further ten units under construction.