Leaders spoke about the urgent need for technology to advance amphibious operations and create a high speed capability to enable the Marine Corps’ concept of operational maneuver from the sea.
Some of the topics highlighted as key areas for short and long-term development opportunities included:
• Hull form and propulsor hydrodynamics
• Powertrain/power generation/fuel efficiency/autonomy
• Human factors/habitability
Fast hydroplaning ships will need triple the engine power of current vehicles.
Why Speed matters :
• Ships enable naval maneuver creating conditions for littoral maneuver
• Speed enable littoral maneuver from distance reducing exposure to ships
• Speed over distance enables maneuver options
• Speed limits exposure of the landing force
• Speed reduces risk and creates opportunity and enhances littoral maneuver
SOURCES - Office of Naval Research