From page 9 of the EIA Monthly reports Petroleum supply report
EIA Monthly report shows that US ethanol production in January 2010 was 818,000 barrels per day The United States uses about 20 million barrels per day of oil.
Ethanol production increased by 188,000 barrels per day over January 2009. If the EPA allows up to 15% ethanol blends for all vehicles, then the 10 million barrels per day of oil used by cars and trucks could allow ethanol and biofuels to make up 1.5 million barrels per day.
The Department of agriculture has launched loan programs to farmers to encourage and support more biofuels.
Five Navy targets are:
* By 2012, demonstrate a Green Strike Group composed of nuclear vessels and ships powered by biofuel.
* By 2016 sail the Strike Group as a Great Green Fleet composed of nuclear ships, surface combatants equipped with hybrid electric alternative power systems running on biofuel, and aircraft running on biofuel. (The Navy will demonstrate an F/A-18 Super Hornet powered by a 50/50 biofuel blend on 22 April, at Naval Air Station Patuxent River, Md. as part of its biofuel certifications.)
* By 2015 cut petroleum use in its 50,000 non-tactical vehicle commercial fleet in half, by phasing in hybrid, flex fuel and electric vehicles.
* By 2020, produce at least half of shore based installations’ energy requirements from alternative sources. Also 50% of all shore installations will be net zero energy consumers.
* By 2020 half of DON’s total energy consumption for ships, aircraft, tanks, vehicles and shore installations will come from alternative sources.
Brian Wang is a Futurist Thought Leader and a popular Science blogger with 1 million readers per month. His blog Nextbigfuture.com is ranked #1 Science News Blog. It covers many disruptive technology and trends including Space, Robotics, Artificial Intelligence, Medicine, Anti-aging Biotechnology, and Nanotechnology.
Known for identifying cutting edge technologies, he is currently a Co-Founder of a startup and fundraiser for high potential early-stage companies. He is the Head of Research for Allocations for deep technology investments and an Angel Investor at Space Angels.
A frequent speaker at corporations, he has been a TEDx speaker, a Singularity University speaker and guest at numerous interviews for radio and podcasts. He is open to public speaking and advising engagements.