Ericsson estimates based on industry information, the 5 billionth subscription was added Thursday, July 8.
In the year 2000, about 720 million people had mobile subscriptions, less than the amount of users China alone has today
* 2 million additions per day
* More than 500 million 3G subscriptions
* 50 billion connected devices by 2020
* Studies show that soon 80 percent of all people accessing the internet will be doing so using their mobile device
* The subscriptions are not evenly distributed as many people in developed countries could have 2 or three subscriptions per person.
China has about 800 million mobile subscribers and 380 million internet users
* China has mobile penetration of 56 percent and 8.8 million new subscriptions a month
Brian Wang is a Futurist Thought Leader and a popular Science blogger with 1 million readers per month. His blog Nextbigfuture.com is ranked #1 Science News Blog. It covers many disruptive technology and trends including Space, Robotics, Artificial Intelligence, Medicine, Anti-aging Biotechnology, and Nanotechnology.
Known for identifying cutting edge technologies, he is currently a Co-Founder of a startup and fundraiser for high potential early-stage companies. He is the Head of Research for Allocations for deep technology investments and an Angel Investor at Space Angels.
A frequent speaker at corporations, he has been a TEDx speaker, a Singularity University speaker and guest at numerous interviews for radio and podcasts. He is open to public speaking and advising engagements.