Ericsson estimates based on industry information, the 5 billionth subscription was added Thursday, July 8.
In the year 2000, about 720 million people had mobile subscriptions, less than the amount of users China alone has today
* 2 million additions per day
* More than 500 million 3G subscriptions
* 50 billion connected devices by 2020
* Studies show that soon 80 percent of all people accessing the internet will be doing so using their mobile device
* The subscriptions are not evenly distributed as many people in developed countries could have 2 or three subscriptions per person.
China has about 800 million mobile subscribers and 380 million internet users
* China has mobile penetration of 56 percent and 8.8 million new subscriptions a month