Idaho Samzdat – US Areva CEO Jacques Besnainou joined the monthly conference call with nuclear bloggers. In response to a question from Dan Yurman, he said that the firm would restart the construction phase of the Eagle Rock Enrichment Facility in Idaho by late 2013 or 2014, or whenever investment funding is found for the project. Also, Besnainou provided an update on the progress of two EPR reactors being built in China.
* The Japanese government and the ruling Democratic Party of Japan plan to reconsider Japan’s pledge to reduce its greenhouse gas emissions by 25 percent by 2020 from 1990 levels. “Achieving the target has become impossible in any way,” a government source said, because the nuclear disaster at the Fukushima Daiichi power plant has made it impossible for Japan to significantly expand its nuclear power capacity.
* The South Korean government plans to name Samcheok and Yeongdeok by no later than the end of next year as the final sites for the new nuclear power plants after conducting environmental impact assessments. The two sites would house four power plants each that will have a capacity of up to one-point-four million kilowatts.
* Reliance Industries Ltd. (RIL), operator of the world’s biggest oil refinery complex, has invested in Terra Power LLC
* Saudi Arabia’s failure to secure a wide-ranging atomic energy treaty with the USA, continues to push the oil-rich country into the arms of other nuclear suiters, experts on the kingdom have argued. The Saudi’s plan is to invest USD112 billion over the next 20 years to build 16 nuclear power plants (NPPs) to offset rising domestic energy demand and retain its position as a leading hydrocarbons exporter.
* the NRC has certified the Westinghouse AP1000 reactor design. The fourth reactor in 36 years.
* Russia and the United States have an agreement for Russia to provide uranium enrichment services in 2013-2022 to the United States.
Brian Wang is a Futurist Thought Leader and a popular Science blogger with 1 million readers per month. His blog Nextbigfuture.com is ranked #1 Science News Blog. It covers many disruptive technology and trends including Space, Robotics, Artificial Intelligence, Medicine, Anti-aging Biotechnology, and Nanotechnology.
Known for identifying cutting edge technologies, he is currently a Co-Founder of a startup and fundraiser for high potential early-stage companies. He is the Head of Research for Allocations for deep technology investments and an Angel Investor at Space Angels.
A frequent speaker at corporations, he has been a TEDx speaker, a Singularity University speaker and guest at numerous interviews for radio and podcasts. He is open to public speaking and advising engagements.