China Daily – China’s total electricity consumption is expected to top 5.14 trillion kilowatt-hours (kwh) this year, with the growth rate slowing from 11.7 percent in 2011 to between 8.5 and 10.5 percent, the CEC said in an annual industrial report posted on its website.
According to the CEC report, China’s electricity consumption rose 11.7 percent year-on-year to 4.69 trillion kwh in 2011, with 24 provincial-level power grids reporting electricity shortages.
The CEC projected China’s installed power generating capacity to reach 1.14 billion kilowatts by the end of 2012, adding 85 million kilowatts of capacity.
Based on data from the National Energy Administration, China used up a total of 4.69 trillion kW hours of electricity in 2011, an 11.7 per cent growth over 2010. Power used by the primary industries, including agriculture, livestock husbandry, forestry and fisheries, among others, reached 101.5 billion kWh, a 3.9 per cent uptick from last year. In the second industries that include manufacturing, water and electricity production, among others, power consumption grew by 11.9 per cent to 3.52 trillion kWh. Tertiary industries comprised by services, insurance, and hotels, among others, reached 508.2 billion kWh, a 13.5 per cent growth, while power used by households and of urban and township residents touched 564.6 billion kWh, up 10.8% year over year.
Monthly tracking of China electricity usage. Note all the dips in usage have not lasted long and usage increases shot back up to 16% after the last dip.
CEC expected annual growth rate of 9.5%
By the factors of the Lunar New Year holiday, and society as a whole in January this year, electricity consumption growth rate of rare negative growth. To informed sources, the power generation growth in January was -7.5%, generating growth and the growth rate of electricity consumption is closely related to the person believes that social power consumption growth rate of roughly -7.5%.
To remove the impact of the Lunar New Year holidays on January electricity consumption, electricity consumption growth rate last year high, the economic slowdown is the main reason, and the reason will continue to affect consumption growth in February. Some experts predict that between 5-6% of electricity consumption growth rate of approximately 1-2 months of this year, the expected thing is to consider the case of the continued cold weather, national weather quickly warming, electricity demand growth and even less than 5 %. The first two months of last year electricity consumption growth rate as high as 12.32 percent growth rate even higher than the full-year level of 11.7%.
Of course, subject to the limitations in power factors, making the electricity consumption of a higher base last year, but economic growth slowed down since last quarter by quarter are also important reasons. Analysts pointed out that electricity consumption growth rate as a barometer of economic growth, economic growth gradually slowed down, the electricity consumption growth rate is bound to the weak, the Ministry of Industry and even expected the first quarter of this year, economic growth will continue to slow.
CEC recently this year, total electricity consumption growth rate of 9.5% is expected. Today, electricity consumption growth rate for the first two months or even less than 6%, how to achieve full-year growth of 9.5%? CEC are given the answer yes, the consumption growth presents “low high” distribution, this trend coincided with last year contrary to the trend of consumption growth, the slowdown in economic growth last year, electricity consumption growth rate showed a monthly decline trend.
Thus, analysts have pointed out, the CEC’s forecast includes an economic upturn in the second half of the expected economic growth picked up. Support the logic of the expected economic growth since last year monthly decline this year, are still further downside risks, and thus the “capital growth” has become an important task for macroeconomic regulation this year.
China Huaneng Group;
1. Power generating capacity gained 10.5% from a year earlier to 125.38 GW at the end of 2011.
2. Electricity output totalled 604.6 billion KWH up 12.5% from a year earlier.
3. Burned 318.68 grams of coal in generating each KWH of power down 4.04 grams from a year earlier.
4. Coal output increased 38.5% on year to 64.06 million tonnes in 2011.
5. Combined sales increased 18.5% on year to CNY 270.3 billion but profit fell 21.7% to CNY 6.1 billion. Thermal power business lost CNY 6.5 billion.
6. Planned to generate 660 billion KWH of power in 2012 produce 66.7 million tonnes of coal and raise revenues to CNY 304 billion and profit to CNY 9 billion.
China Huadian Corporation;
1. Power generating capacity rose to 94.1 GW at end 2011
2. Electricity output was 417.8 billion KWH up 16.3% from a year earlier.
3. Burned 321.1 grams of coal in generating each KWH of power down 7 grams from a year earlier.
4. Coal production capacity was 25.6 million tonnes per year.
5. Sales revenues totaled CNY 169.2 billion. Profit was around CNY 2 billion.
6. Planned to generate 458.7 billion KWH of power produce 36.7 million tonnes of coal and boost revenues to CNY 190 billion.
China Power Investment Corporation;
1. Power generating capacity grew 8.6% on year to 76.8 GW.
2. Power output gained 10.8% to 325.9 billion KWH.
3. Coal production capacity gained 1% on year to 73.5 million tonne per year.
4. Coal output increased 12.1% on year to 60.68 million tonnes.
5. Aluminum production capacity totaled 2.6 million tonne per year up 25%.
6. Aluminum output gained 17.1% on year to 2.03 million tonnes in 2011.
7. Made a profit of CNY 2.6 billion on revenue of CNY 157.6 billion.
China Datang Corporation;
1. Added 5.19 GW of new generating capacity on top of the 105.9 GW in end 2010 suggesting end 2011 capacity was about 111.09 GW.
2. Power output at 515.6 billion KWH vs 472.58 billion KWH in 2010.
3. Coal burned in generating each KWH of power fell 3.36 grams from a year earlier.
4. Sales revenue amounted to CNY 187 billion in 2011 vs CNY 175.4 billion in 2010.
5. Profit at CNY 1.605 billion up CNY 83 million from 2010.
China Guodian Corporation;
1. Power generation capacity at 106.72 GW up 12% on year.
2. Power output rose 13.6% on year to 477 billion KWH.
3. Coal burned in generating each KWH of power fell 5 grams from a year earlier to 321.3 grams.
4. Coal output grew 38.4% on year to 65.05 million tonnes.
5. Made a profit of CNY 6.08 billion on revenues of CNY 214.3 billion in 2011.
6. Aimed to generate 530 billion KWH of electricity in 2012.
7. Planned to add more than 10 GW of new generating capacity and raise total capacity to 118 GW by the end of this year.