Technologies that I expect to see having a lot of progress in the 2012-2016 timeframe should see each of the technologies enabling more improvement in the other technologies in the 2014-2019 timeframes. The exact timeframes would depend upon how fast leaders in one technological area are able to incorporate advances from other areas.
The whole list of 2012-2016 Technologies
1. Energy Revolution – Mass produced fission, fusion, and maybe cold fusion
2. Memristors and other significant computing and electronic improvements.
4. Urbanization Broad Group skyscrapers, Tata flat packed buildings
6. Supersmartphones, exoskeletons and wearable systems
8. Energy Efficiency – superconductors, thermoelectrics, improved grid
9. Additive manufacturing
10. Not so mundane – neuromorphic chips, quantum computers, photonics
11. Automated transportation (leading to robotic cars and planes)
13. Improve medicine and public health
14. Synthetic biology and recombineering
15. Sensors everywhere
16. Education transformed and accelerated innovation
Previously I had mentioned the following expected improvements in medicine and public health.
Cookers and heaters for the developing world that do not have indoor air pollution can save about 1.6 million lives per year and reduce the warming effect of black carbon (soot).
Clean water and sanitation can save millions of lives.
Universal vaccination can save millions.
Combined about 37 million of the 55 million deaths are premature and can be avoided/deferred.
There is advancement on tissue engineering, stem cells and regeneration.
There is advancement against the major diseases and towards longevity.
Something that is currently available is the anti-diabetic drug Metformin. It appears to improve the survival rate against many cancers by 30%.
1. Carb Concentration diet (or other Calorie restriction related diets) are Free
Want a BMI of 23-24. BMI 23-24 5 foot 7 inches then weight 146-153 lbs BMI 30-35 over 190 lbs reduces life by 2-4 years BMI 40-45 over 255 lbs reduces life by 8-10years (like heavy smoking)
2. Metformin 14 cents per day
Lowers cancer risks by up to 30% and extends maximum life in mice by 10%
3. Exercise – Free
4. Baby aspirin cents per day
5. Donate blood (reduce iron in blood and boost life by 2-4 years) – Free
The capabilities are here to improve your health now and there is the likelihood of several substantial improvements in the 5-10 year timeframe. It is then a question of communication, dissemination, implementation and adoption.
It is now known ow much life extension will be provided by a fully effective telomerase activation treatment.
Besides extending the someones life by taking a more powerful telomerase activitation pill, there is also using de-aged stem cells and tissues in combination with telomerase activated tissues.
A somewhat but not optimally healthy person (non-smoker etc…) could add up to 4-8 years by following Terry Grossmans recommendations.
Early detection and prevention of the big diseases will reduce the chances of early deaths and firm up life expenctancy in the 95-110 year ranges.
Telomerase, stem cells, mitochondria treatments and SENS treatments could substantially extend maximum life spans.
Brian Wang is a Futurist Thought Leader and a popular Science blogger with 1 million readers per month. His blog Nextbigfuture.com is ranked #1 Science News Blog. It covers many disruptive technology and trends including Space, Robotics, Artificial Intelligence, Medicine, Anti-aging Biotechnology, and Nanotechnology.
Known for identifying cutting edge technologies, he is currently a Co-Founder of a startup and fundraiser for high potential early-stage companies. He is the Head of Research for Allocations for deep technology investments and an Angel Investor at Space Angels.
A frequent speaker at corporations, he has been a TEDx speaker, a Singularity University speaker and guest at numerous interviews for radio and podcasts. He is open to public speaking and advising engagements.