BlackLight Power, Inc. (BLP) today announced a major breakthrough in clean energy technology, which experts agree holds tremendous promise for a wide range of commercial applications. The announcement comes on the heels of BlackLight’s recent completion of a $5 million round of financing to support commercial development of its new process for producing affordable, reliable energy from water vapor.
Now in 2012, Dr. Mills says that BlackLight has achieved critical milestones in scaling its new technology with typical electrical gain of more than ten times that which initiates the process, operating over long duration at the 10 Watt (W) scale. A 100 W unit is planned for completion by the end of 2012, and a 1.5 kiloWatt (kW) pilot unit that can serve the residential power market, as an initial target commercial application, is expected to be operational by 2013. (One kW is equal to 1000 W, and 1.5 kW is the typical, average power consumption of a US home.)
In six separate, independent studies, leading scientists from academia and industry with PhDs from prestigious universities including the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and the California Institute of Technology, confirm that BlackLight has achieved a technological breakthrough with its CIHT (Catalyst-Induced-Hydrino-Transition) clean energy generating process and cell. The Process is fueled by water vapor that is a gaseous component of air and present wherever there is any source of water. The CIHT cell harnesses this energy as electrical power output and is suitable for essentially all power applications including transportation applications and electrical power production completely autonomous of fuels and grid infrastructure at a small fraction of the current capital costs.
So far lower power levels are claimed now.
Blacklight Power was supposed to have large scale commercial power deployed 2 years ago.
Now they are shooting for 2013. They have raised $5 million for commercialization. Previously they had raised $70 million.
* W. Henry Weinberg, who was a professor of Chemical Engineering, Chemistry and Applied Physics at California Institute of Technology for eighteen years, a professor of Chemical Engineering, Chemistry and Materials Science at University of California, Santa Barbara for six years, and co-founder and CTO of Symyx Technologies for 13 years. “It would be irrational not to be very skeptical, and I was extremely skeptical. However, after having reviewed Dr. Mills classical theory, participated in experimental designs and execution, and having reviewed vast amounts of other data BLP produced, I have found nothing that warrants rejection of their extraordinary claims, and I encourage aggressive optimization and fast track development of a scaled up prototype,” said Dr. Weinberg. “To be able to use hydrogen from water as a cheap and nonpolluting source of power would represent one of the most important technological breakthroughs in history.”
* Dr. Terry Copeland, former manager of product development for several electrochemical and energy companies including DuPont Company and Duracell. “BLP has successfully fabricated and tested CIHT cells capable of producing net electrical output up to 50 times that input to maintain the process,” said Dr. Copeland. “Some cells have produced steady power for over one month. The power generation is consistent with Dr. Mills’ theory of energy release resulting from Hydrino formation. No other source of energy could be identified. The CIHT cell will use cheap, abundant, nontoxic, commodity chemicals, with no apparent long-term supply issues that might preclude commercial, high volume manufacturing. The capital cost of the CIHT cell based on optimization of the cell dimensions is estimated to be under $100/kW compared to at least ten times that for fuel cells that further require a source of hydrogen or hydrogen gas and a fuel infrastructure.”
* Dr. James Pugh, Director of Technology at The ENSER Corporation. “Representatives from the ENSER Corporation witnessed the assembly and operation of multiple CIHT cells, and the results showed excess electrical energy, up to 100 times that used to maintain the process in cells run as long as sixty days,” said Dr. Pugh. “There is no apparent difficulty in assembling single cell and multi-cell units, in a production scale environment. By carefully designing and optimizing the CIHT cell, a one-liter volume could generate 3.3 kW. This is greater than that necessary for motive as well as stationary electrical power applications.”
BlackLight Power announced that CIHT (Catalyst-Induced-Hydrino-Transition) technology has been independently confirmed by Dr. K.V. Ramanujachary, Rowan University Meritorious Professor of Chemistry and Biochemistry
They now claim it will provide power at 0.1 cents pwer kwh.
Their new description
CIHT Electrochemical Cell Generates Electricity Directly from Water Vapor
Each CIHT cell comprises a positive electrode, the cathode, a negative electrode, the anode, and an electrolyte that also serves as a source of reactants to form Hydrinos.
A Hydrino-producing reaction mixture creates electricity from H2O as the reactants are constituted with the migration of the electrons through an external circuit and ion mass transport through a separate internal path through the electrolyte to complete an electrical circuit.
The mechanism may be broken down to interdependent steps:
1. Assume CIHT is similar to an alkaline fuel cell, except that an electric current is passed through it and an inert atmosphere with trace H2O vapor surrounds the cathode, anode, and electrolyte.
2. Current is introduced, which produces hydrogen and oxygen from the electrolysis of the supplied trace H2O. Then, the cell is discharged for a much longer time than it was charged at essentially the same voltage maintained by the energy released from the hydrino reaction.
3. Nascent H2O is formed at the anode during discharge by oxidation of OH- and reaction with H. Hydrinos are then formed at the anode during cell discharge as a result of the atomic hydrogen reacting with the nascent water that serves as the catalyst to form the hydrinos.
4. When the hydrinos form, energy is given off that causes spontaneous electrochemical reactions to occur at both electrodes that result in a self-propagating electrochemical cycle wherein H2O is converted to hydrinos, electricity, and oxygen. Specifically, oxidation-reduction reactions of H2O involving oxygen and oxygen ion intermediates such as hydroxide, oxides, peroxides, and superoxides are involved in the spontaneous electrolysis of water powered by hydrino formation that in turn result in the formation of catalyst and hydrinos. The equivalent of Steps 1 and 2 occur continuously, except that no electricity has been applied during this process. Power is produced with a large net gain in electricity (e.g. 10X) over that to initiate the spontaneous electricity-producing process.
Brian Wang is a Futurist Thought Leader and a popular Science blogger with 1 million readers per month. His blog Nextbigfuture.com is ranked #1 Science News Blog. It covers many disruptive technology and trends including Space, Robotics, Artificial Intelligence, Medicine, Anti-aging Biotechnology, and Nanotechnology.
Known for identifying cutting edge technologies, he is currently a Co-Founder of a startup and fundraiser for high potential early-stage companies. He is the Head of Research for Allocations for deep technology investments and an Angel Investor at Space Angels.
A frequent speaker at corporations, he has been a TEDx speaker, a Singularity University speaker and guest at numerous interviews for radio and podcasts. He is open to public speaking and advising engagements.