Entrepreneur Elon Musk is a man with many plans. The founder of PayPal, Tesla Motors and SpaceX sits down with TED curator Chris Anderson to share details about his visionary projects, which include a mass-marketed electric car, a solar energy leasing company and a fully reusable rocket.
He discusses the need for electric cars.
* we must solve sustainable energy any way
* electric cars are twice as efficient using the same source fuel
* Tesla car has an aluminum frame and lowest drag coefficient in order to get 250 mile range
* They will have a $30,000 electric car in 3-4 years.
* The Model S is the mid-market car.
* When you have really new technology you will really need to go through three major versions to get a compelling mass market product
Solar City is Elon’s answer to sustainable energy
* need to get cost of installation low and cost of financing low
* The Solar City offer is no money down and your utility bill goes down
* Solar City is a giant distributed utility
* Elon bets that solar power will provide more power than any other energy source within 18 years
* Solar power is indirect nuclear fusion
Spacex can make us a space faring civilization with a reusable rocket
* Rocket stages that return to launch site and be ready to relaunch in a few hours
Do not reason by analogy
* break it down to basic physics and build up from there
* Solicit negative feedback. It is very useful.
Brian Wang is a Futurist Thought Leader and a popular Science blogger with 1 million readers per month. His blog Nextbigfuture.com is ranked #1 Science News Blog. It covers many disruptive technology and trends including Space, Robotics, Artificial Intelligence, Medicine, Anti-aging Biotechnology, and Nanotechnology.
Known for identifying cutting edge technologies, he is currently a Co-Founder of a startup and fundraiser for high potential early-stage companies. He is the Head of Research for Allocations for deep technology investments and an Angel Investor at Space Angels.
A frequent speaker at corporations, he has been a TEDx speaker, a Singularity University speaker and guest at numerous interviews for radio and podcasts. He is open to public speaking and advising engagements.