Intelsat has spacecraft and launches from most major manufacturers and launch agencies
Intelsat has several launches annually to replenish fleet spacecraft
Why Now for Satellite Servicing?
• Global environment has changed
– Development of international capabilities
– Peaceful use of space, orbital debris concerns
• Technology has improved
– Satellite control, imaging, and data handling
• USG has been strong advocate
– US National Space Policy
– Robotic Refueling Mission, Restore Program
– DARPA Tactical Technology Office Phoenix Program
• Business environment has changed
Satellite Life Extension
• Towing – ACS replacement
• Refueling –intact propulsion subsystem
– Deposit for services (commitment and working capital)
– Fee-based services (when successfully delivered)
– If S/C partially in service – risk possible service outages
– Revenues 48 transponders x $2M/year $96M/yr?
– Procurement plan expenditure flexibility, $300M x 8% $24M/yr
– More payload mass / less propellant
– Solution for stationkeeping propellant shortfall
– More complete propellant depletion
• Is spacecraft life limited by hardware design or propellant ???
Brian Wang is a Futurist Thought Leader and a popular Science blogger with 1 million readers per month. His blog Nextbigfuture.com is ranked #1 Science News Blog. It covers many disruptive technology and trends including Space, Robotics, Artificial Intelligence, Medicine, Anti-aging Biotechnology, and Nanotechnology.
Known for identifying cutting edge technologies, he is currently a Co-Founder of a startup and fundraiser for high potential early-stage companies. He is the Head of Research for Allocations for deep technology investments and an Angel Investor at Space Angels.
A frequent speaker at corporations, he has been a TEDx speaker, a Singularity University speaker and guest at numerous interviews for radio and podcasts. He is open to public speaking and advising engagements.