Blacklight Power has been saying that their technology is capable of amazing power densities — e.g. a 10 MW system would occupy one cubic foot. However, that was with a 60-toothed gear spinning at 200 rpm, making the water chamber size a few micro liters, lasting a millisecond, during which two electrodes create a supersonic-expanding plasma that goes into a magnetohydrodyamic converter, then directly into electricity, cleanly, safely. That is the paradigm they were operating under last January when they gave their first public demonstration. And it turns out that there are some significant challenges with that approach.
Since then, they realized that the greatest energy output of the process comes in the form of intense light. And with modern photovoltaic technology, they will be able to convert that light directly to electricity with an even grater power density. Some modern PV systems are able to absorb 1000x focused sunlight. The technology is developed and ready to go, after four decades and trillions of dollars.
Dr. Randall Mills has done an interview, claiming that his company is garnering sales of $40 billion. He is claiming that he will lease the equipment to providers. There will be another demonstration on July 21.
Randell said that the engineering firms they are consulting with say that there are no engineering obstacles to marry the Blacklight system with photovoltaics, but that all systems are Go. All the different engineering problems are covered, including light angle, emission from electrodes, heat dissipation and transfer, and material handling. “This thing is meant to be”, is their assessment. They are extraordinarily optimistic this will roll out quickly.
They promise power for 0.1 cents per kwh.
The BlackLight Power, Inc. SunCell™ produces millions of watts of power in a volume that is one ten thousandths of a liter corresponding to a power density of over an astonishing 100 billion watts per liter. As a comparison, the electrical output power of a central power generation plant is typically 1 billion watts from a boiler 100 million times larger. BLP’s safe, non-polluting power-producing system catalytically converts the hydrogen of the H2O-based solid fuel into a non-polluting product, lower-energy state hydrogen called “Hydrino” wherein the energy release of H2O fuel is 100 times that of an equivalent amount of high-octane gasoline.The H2O-based fuel ignition produced brilliant plasma, an essentially fully ionized gaseous physical state of the fuel comprising essentially positive ions and free electrons.
The SunCell™ plasma has the same temperature as the Sun emitting the same solar spectrum of light but at extraordinary power equivalent to 50,000 times the Sun’s intensity at the Earth’s surface.
Using readily-available components, BlackLight has developed a system engineering design of an electric generator that is closed except for the addition of H2O fuel and generates 10 MW of electricity, enough to power ten thousand homes.
Optical power is converted directly into electricity using mass-produced commercial photovoltaic cells (solar cells).
Simply replacing the consumed H2O regenerates the fuel.
The SunCell™ power source is a further game changer for all forms of transportation:
automobile, freight trucks, rail, marine, aviation, and aerospace
The power density is one million times that of the engine of a Formula One racer, and ten million times that of a jet engine.
The SunCell™ uses cheap, abundant, nontoxic, commodity chemicals, with no apparent long-term supply issues that might preclude commercial, high volume manufacturing.
At 50,000 times brighter than sunlight, the corresponding reduction in the area of the photovoltaic converter gives rise to a projected cost of the SunCell™ of about $100/kW compared to over ten times that for conventional power sources of electricity.
1. Fuel flows from the hopper into a pair of gears that confines about 0.5 g aliquots of highly conducting solid fuel in the interdigitating regions wherein a low voltage, high current is flowed through the fuel to cause it to ignite. The ignition releases about 10 kJ of energy per aliquot. The gears comprise 60 teeth and rotate at 1000 RPM such that the firing rate is 1 k Hz corresponding to10 MW of power. The gears are designed such that a fuel powder layer in direct contact with the gears does not carry the critical current density for detonation whereas bulk region does such that the gears are protected from erosion by the blast from the ignition of the fuel.
2. Brilliant-light-emitting plasma power is directly converted to electricity using proven photovoltaic cells that are commercially available for converting light to electric power. The system is modular, scalable to output up to 10 MW with the commensurate photovoltaic stack area.
3. A portion of the electricity powers the source of electrical power to the electrodes and the rest can be supplied to an external load following power conditioning by the corresponding unit. Heat that is removed from the gear hub by an electrode heat exchanger flows to a regeneration system heat exchanger, and the rest flows to an external heat load.
4. The plasma gas condenses to product comprising the solid fuel without H2O.
5. An auger such as one used in the pharmaceutical or food industries transports the product powder to a regeneration system wherein it is rehydrated with steam wherein the steam is formed by flowing H2O from a H2O reservoir over the hot coils of the regeneration system heat exchanger.
6. The regenerated solid fuel is transported to the hopper by an auger to permit the continuous use of the fuel with H2O add back only.
3000 miles on one liter of water claim
Consider the automotive SunCell™ application. Based on the hydrogen content of H2O and the electricity that can be produced from the corresponding hydrogen, the maximum theoretical range from a liter of water for a standard mid-sized car is 3000 miles. A concept SunCell™ electric vehicle is shown in Figure 7. Based on projections of the SunCell™ power density and available materials, a 250 cubic centimeter generator could deliver 200 kW or 267 HP and weigh less than 2 kg, less than 1% the weight of an internal combustion engine (ICE) of the same power. The total projected cost of the SunCell™ generator, control electronics, electric motors, and transmission, is less than the cost of the of the ICE and drive train of a conventional gasoline-fired vehicle without any fuel costs or pollution; nor, does the SunCell™-powered car require an expensive, range limiting battery or electric charging as is the case of electric vehicles such as the Chevrolet Volt, Nissan Leaf, or Tesla. The corresponding SunCell™ economics forecast a shift from the fossil fuel business to vehicle leasing or a mileage credit card system as a means to derive even greater profits from payment for miles traveled without the need to extract, refine, transport, or sell gasoline, for example.
Brian Wang is a Futurist Thought Leader and a popular Science blogger with 1 million readers per month. His blog Nextbigfuture.com is ranked #1 Science News Blog. It covers many disruptive technology and trends including Space, Robotics, Artificial Intelligence, Medicine, Anti-aging Biotechnology, and Nanotechnology.
Known for identifying cutting edge technologies, he is currently a Co-Founder of a startup and fundraiser for high potential early-stage companies. He is the Head of Research for Allocations for deep technology investments and an Angel Investor at Space Angels.
A frequent speaker at corporations, he has been a TEDx speaker, a Singularity University speaker and guest at numerous interviews for radio and podcasts. He is open to public speaking and advising engagements.