The Space combat video game, Star Citizen, s the largest crowd-funded project of any genre with over 755,000 backers. Listed on December 2014 at more than $65,300,000 as a Guinness World Record. It has raised $72.568 million. Of the total amount, $6,238,563 were raised on Kickstarter and Roberts’ own website on November 19th, 2012. It is being made by Chris Roberts who designer of Wing Commander.
In 1991 Wing Commander won Computer Gaming World ’s Overall Game of the Year award. In 1996 the magazine ranked it as the seventh best PC video game of all time, also listing the game’s Game Over funeral cutscene among the 15 best ways to die in computer gaming. In 2011, Maximum PC included it on the list 16 classic games that need to be remade today, stating: “Chris Roberts and Origin really nailed the space opera with this series, which blended fast action and a fairly engaging (if hokey) story. Way ahead of its time.
1. Star Citizen has raised $72.568 million so far
2. Ethereum is a decentralized publishing platform featuring stateful user-created digital contracts and a Turing-complete contract programming language. It raised $18.4 million and ended Sept, 2014
3. Coolest Cooler – Portable 60 quart cooler that contains a battery powered rechargeable blender, waterproof Bluetooth speaker, USB charger, cutting board, plates, among other features. Coolest cooler raised $13.28 million by Aug 29, 2014.
4. The Ubuntu Edge was a proposed “high concept” smartphone announced by Canonical Ltd. on 22 July 2013. The crowdfunding failed to reach its $30 million target after raising $12 million.
5. The Pebble watch raised $10.26 million by May 2012.
After almost a year on the market the $200 Pebble Steel is considered by many reviewers as the best smartwatch for most people. Despite pressure from Android Wear, the Pebble Steel looks the best on most people, is solidly built and resistant to wear and tear, has a battery that lasts the work week, is equally capable whether used with Android or iOS, and has the most mature ecosystem of any watch on the market.
Pebble has sold over 1 million smartwatches. There are now 6,000 Pebble apps and watchfaces on the current platform, and Pebble says it has nearly 25,000 developers contributing worldwide.
Oculus Rift raised $2.4 million by Sept 1, 2012
Oculus rift is a virtual reality head-mounted display. Development units began shipping in March 2013. Oculus Rift was sold to Facebook for $2 billion in March 2014.
Here is holocommander on Oculus Rift
SOURCES – Robert Space Industries, Wikipedia, Youtube, Pebble, Etherium, Coolest Cooler
Brian Wang is a Futurist Thought Leader and a popular Science blogger with 1 million readers per month. His blog Nextbigfuture.com is ranked #1 Science News Blog. It covers many disruptive technology and trends including Space, Robotics, Artificial Intelligence, Medicine, Anti-aging Biotechnology, and Nanotechnology.
Known for identifying cutting edge technologies, he is currently a Co-Founder of a startup and fundraiser for high potential early-stage companies. He is the Head of Research for Allocations for deep technology investments and an Angel Investor at Space Angels.
A frequent speaker at corporations, he has been a TEDx speaker, a Singularity University speaker and guest at numerous interviews for radio and podcasts. He is open to public speaking and advising engagements.