Oceanographer and explorer Dr. Bob Ballard discusses science, technology, engineering and mathematics to an overflow crowd Feb. 4 at the Naval Future Force Science and Technology EXPO. Among his many accomplishments, Ballard is known for leading the research to find the Titanic.
* he discusses the terrain on the ocean floor and how the next submarine should be like a tank and use terrain, instead of being like a blimp above it
* he talks about finding Titanic
* he talks about using unmanned exploration systems from a surface ship to get more bottom time exploration
* There are 100,000 Seamounts (active volcano, mountains that have rich life above and them and are creating rich mineral deposits)
* NASA has 1000 time the budget for exploring space as the budget for ocean exploration
* Ballard talks about his collaboration with the Office of Naval Research
Ballard’s Secret Mission
Ballard was directed by the Navy to check out the wrecks of the nuclear submarines Scorpion and the Thresher. They happened to be on either side of where the Titanic wreck was.
Ballard was given 12 days to look for the Titanic. He looked for the mile long debris field and skipped along 0.9 miles at a time.
Ballard TED Talk
SOURCES – youtube
Brian Wang is a Futurist Thought Leader and a popular Science blogger with 1 million readers per month. His blog Nextbigfuture.com is ranked #1 Science News Blog. It covers many disruptive technology and trends including Space, Robotics, Artificial Intelligence, Medicine, Anti-aging Biotechnology, and Nanotechnology.
Known for identifying cutting edge technologies, he is currently a Co-Founder of a startup and fundraiser for high potential early-stage companies. He is the Head of Research for Allocations for deep technology investments and an Angel Investor at Space Angels.
A frequent speaker at corporations, he has been a TEDx speaker, a Singularity University speaker and guest at numerous interviews for radio and podcasts. He is open to public speaking and advising engagements.