* capable of hauling 80,000 pounds
* 500-600 mile range between charging. 500 mile range with maximum cargo.
* the truck gets the Enhanced Autopilot features that let it drive itself on the highway, staying in its lane and a safe distance from neighboring vehicles.
* radars built into the front of the vehicle, and many cameras
* it can accelerate to 60 mph in 20 seconds (BAMF performance)
* 20% less expensive to operate than a diesel truck ($1.26 per mile compared to $1.51 per mile.)
* Tesla Semis can drive in a convoy (platooning). Trucks can draft off each other while letting computers and sensors keep them just feet apart at highway speeds, it could compete on cost with trains. “This beats rail,” said Musk, throwing up an 85 cents per mile cost.
* independent power on each wheel so jackknifing is impossible
* Tesla guarantees it will not break down for a million miles. 4 motors.
There are 4 million big rig trucks in the USA. US trucking is a $700 billion per year industry.
Brian Wang is a Futurist Thought Leader and a popular Science blogger with 1 million readers per month. His blog Nextbigfuture.com is ranked #1 Science News Blog. It covers many disruptive technology and trends including Space, Robotics, Artificial Intelligence, Medicine, Anti-aging Biotechnology, and Nanotechnology.
Known for identifying cutting edge technologies, he is currently a Co-Founder of a startup and fundraiser for high potential early-stage companies. He is the Head of Research for Allocations for deep technology investments and an Angel Investor at Space Angels.
A frequent speaker at corporations, he has been a TEDx speaker, a Singularity University speaker and guest at numerous interviews for radio and podcasts. He is open to public speaking and advising engagements.