A Foresight Vision panel on brain, computers and intersections between them.
David Eagleman, Robert McIntyre, Randal Koene, Nell Watson are on the panel.
Robert McIntyre runs the company Nectome.
David Eagleman is a neuroscientist and a New York Times bestselling author. He heads the Center for Science and Law, a national non-profit institute, and serves as an adjunct professor at Stanford University. He is best known for his work on sensory substitution, time perception, brain plasticity, synesthesia, and neurolaw. He is the writer and presenter of the international PBS series, The Brain with David Eagleman, and the author of the companion book, The Brain: The Story of You. He is also scientific advisor to the show “Westworld”.
Neosensory is working to sending a variety of data streams to the brain via the sense of touch. With so much unused real estate on the body, the skin presents huge potential for the delivery of new information. We are currently building the world’s first hearing assistive technology that enables people to listen with their skin.
Our team is inspired by the transformative technology we are building. We are dedicated to making a meaningful social impact with our sound-to-touch products. And we’re grateful for the deaf and hard-of-hearing communities for co-creating this mission with us.
Neosensory Buzz is a product. Invented for the deaf and hard-of-hearing, vibrations on your skin capture the sounds of the world: laughter, music, phone, doorbell, alarms, sirens, baby crying, dog barking.
Neosensory Vest – The VEST (Versatile Extra-Sensory Transducer) takes in real-time streams of information and maps it to unique patterns of vibrations on the body that you will learn to recognize subconsciously.
Neosensory is developing a system for the military to reduce friendly fire by having a vest or device transmit via touch where their fellow soldiers are. It becomes a technologically enabled 6th sense similar to Spiderman’s spider sense.
Highlights of Panel Discussions
– Dogs AI enhancement – make AI that loves us. Create super-moral AI.
– Narrow AI is superintelligent in its domain. Chess, Go, image recognition
– if successful supermoral AGI points out human moral flaws, then history suggests that people will not react well. The reaction against those who pointed out that Earth revolves around the sun and not the sun around the Earth.
Ten years ago, Randal Koene participated in creating a whole brain emulation roadmap.
– There needs to a nanometer level scanning of the brain
– there needs to be understanding of the image to translate it into models to convert it into a functional emulation
– There are many companies and funded projects that are related to or part of neural emulation (Kernel, Neuralink, Brain projects)
Copying memories could be a higher bandwidth experience communication than writing or talking. It could be as fundamental as the development of writing to society.
Background and videos