Bill Gates talked about improving the world for the poor.
Go from 5% who die before the age of 5 down to 2.5% or less
Rotovirus vaccine and Pnuemococcus vaccines will save 500,000 lives per year
Rotating crops, money for fertilizer, farmer education system, more improved seeds will boost African agricultural productivity up by 1.5 times.
Gates is pro-GMO food. There is improvement from regular breeding but GMO will provide a big boost to Africa. However, it is there decision. Gates can provide assistance to their safety commissions.
We need to boost food productivity by double by 2050.
Mobile phone debit card systems can enable efficient micro-transactions and bank the world’s poorest.
Vastly increased and improved digital education will be a great help.
Bill Gates assisted with the development of the new UN millenial goals.
The 17 Sustainable Development Goals for the period 2015-2030 are:
* End poverty in all its forms everywhere
* End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition, and promote sustainable agriculture
* Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
* Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote life-long learning opportunities for all
* Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
* Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all
* Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable, and modern energy for all
* Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
* Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
* Reduce inequality within and among countries
* Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
* Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
* Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts (in line with the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change)
* Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development
* Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss
* Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels
* Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development
Brian Wang is a Futurist Thought Leader and a popular Science blogger with 1 million readers per month. His blog Nextbigfuture.com is ranked #1 Science News Blog. It covers many disruptive technology and trends including Space, Robotics, Artificial Intelligence, Medicine, Anti-aging Biotechnology, and Nanotechnology.
Known for identifying cutting edge technologies, he is currently a Co-Founder of a startup and fundraiser for high potential early-stage companies. He is the Head of Research for Allocations for deep technology investments and an Angel Investor at Space Angels.
A frequent speaker at corporations, he has been a TEDx speaker, a Singularity University speaker and guest at numerous interviews for radio and podcasts. He is open to public speaking and advising engagements.