The goal of Under Secretary of Defense for Research and Engineering, Mike Griffin, is making megawatt lasers, hypersonic weapons and directed energy weapons.
* megawatt lasers in space for space control
* 75 kilowatts on top of the Stryker armored vehicles
* 100 kilowatts on the Littoral Combat Ship
* a couple of hundred kilowatts on a KC-46 next-generation tanker so that it can self-defend
* high-powered microwaves to shut down electronics
* microwave emitters can be placed onto missiles or drones to get close to destroy key electronics
* microwave emitter with tens of kilowatts of power might be the best anti-satellite weapon we’ll ever have and could also be on missiles to counter hypersonic weapons
* hypersonic weapons will have to be destroyed at launch points
Artificial Intelligence is widely applicable. The Joint AI Center is not a research center but an applications center. Directed Energy weapons are still a research effort.
SOURCES- Booz Allen Directed Energy Summit, Breaking Defense
Written By Brian Wang. Nextbigfuture.com
Brian Wang is a Futurist Thought Leader and a popular Science blogger with 1 million readers per month. His blog Nextbigfuture.com is ranked #1 Science News Blog. It covers many disruptive technology and trends including Space, Robotics, Artificial Intelligence, Medicine, Anti-aging Biotechnology, and Nanotechnology.
Known for identifying cutting edge technologies, he is currently a Co-Founder of a startup and fundraiser for high potential early-stage companies. He is the Head of Research for Allocations for deep technology investments and an Angel Investor at Space Angels.
A frequent speaker at corporations, he has been a TEDx speaker, a Singularity University speaker and guest at numerous interviews for radio and podcasts. He is open to public speaking and advising engagements.