The goal of Under Secretary of Defense for Research and Engineering, Mike Griffin, is making megawatt lasers, hypersonic weapons and directed energy weapons.
* megawatt lasers in space for space control
* 75 kilowatts on top of the Stryker armored vehicles
* 100 kilowatts on the Littoral Combat Ship
* a couple of hundred kilowatts on a KC-46 next-generation tanker so that it can self-defend
* high-powered microwaves to shut down electronics
* microwave emitters can be placed onto missiles or drones to get close to destroy key electronics
* microwave emitter with tens of kilowatts of power might be the best anti-satellite weapon we’ll ever have and could also be on missiles to counter hypersonic weapons
* hypersonic weapons will have to be destroyed at launch points
Artificial Intelligence is widely applicable. The Joint AI Center is not a research center but an applications center. Directed Energy weapons are still a research effort.
SOURCES- Booz Allen Directed Energy Summit, Breaking Defense
Written By Brian Wang. Nextbigfuture.com