The new House NASA funding bill is full of cost-plus contracts for Boeing. The new bill talks about Mars in 2033 but does not dedicate funds towards that goal.
The White House Artemis Program pushed for the Moon as a cornerstone of human exploration for the next decade or two and to develop a lunar base. The White House program at least tried to include SpaceX and Blue Origin and other companies. The Artemis program still kept the wasteful Boeing Space Launch System.
The Senate bill is in line with the NASA-White House Artemis moon program.
The House and Senate bills will have to be reconciled.
The Senate and White House approach is wasteful. They do not cut the Boeing SLS program. The House bill is even more wasteful as they want to delay going to the moon from 2024 to 2028 and to keep SpaceX and Blue Origin out of the NASA funding.
SpaceX needs to just get the Super Heavy Starship working and land on the moon with it by 2023. SpaceX also needs to generate tens of billions from the Starlink satellites so they will move funding and resources than NASA by around 2025. Clearly, the US space funding system will remain broken.
Boeing will continue to abuse cost-plus contracts for many billions of dollars. Nothing was delivered for over twenty years from SLS.
The House Bill has authorized to be appropriated to NASA for fiscal year 2020, $22,629,000,000 as follows:
(1) For exploration, $6,017,600,000, of which $1,406,700,000 shall be for the Orion multi-purpose Crew Vehicle, $2,585,900,000 shall be for the Space Launch System, $590,000,000 shall be for Exploration Ground Systems, and $1,435,000,000 shall be for Exploration Research and Development.
(2) For space operations, $4,140,200,000.
(3) For science, $7,138,900,000, of which $1,971,800,000 shall be for Earth Science, $2,713,400,000 shall be for Planetary Science, $1,306,200,000 shall be for Astrophysics, $423,000,000 shall be for the James Webb Space Telescope, and $724,500,000 shall be for Heliophysics.
(4) For aeronautics, $783,900,000.
(5) For space technology, $1,100,000,000
Brian Wang is a Futurist Thought Leader and a popular Science blogger with 1 million readers per month. His blog Nextbigfuture.com is ranked #1 Science News Blog. It covers many disruptive technology and trends including Space, Robotics, Artificial Intelligence, Medicine, Anti-aging Biotechnology, and Nanotechnology.
Known for identifying cutting edge technologies, he is currently a Co-Founder of a startup and fundraiser for high potential early-stage companies. He is the Head of Research for Allocations for deep technology investments and an Angel Investor at Space Angels.
A frequent speaker at corporations, he has been a TEDx speaker, a Singularity University speaker and guest at numerous interviews for radio and podcasts. He is open to public speaking and advising engagements.