AMD FireStream 9170 is double precision CPU/GPU hybrid with 500 Gigaflops

AMD’s FireStream 9170 chipset includes 660 million transistors and 320 processing units and will be made by chipmaker TSMC. The FireStream 9170 is a step on the way to AMD’s Fusion project, which the company says will combine a graphics processor and general processor on the same piece of silicon. AMD hopes to release Fusion …

Read more

The 2010 Blimp plane

Hat Tip to Al Fin, for spotting a very interesting blimp plane hybrid The Luxury blimp plane hybrid, Aeroscraft ML866 While 70% of the aerodynamic lift comes from helium, the remaining 30% is derived from its innovative “wing” shape. As well as being able to hover the aircraft will be capable of speeds up to …

Read more

More from the Steve Chen Supercomputer Interview

The Chinese government supports university research and gives them money to pay for the use of the service [supercomputer grid]. That is better than to spend money on buying thousands of separate smaller systems and none of them can do significant work. China only has two supercomputer centers now. Steve Chen is recommending and apparently …

Read more