Most of Lyft cars will be autonomous in just 5 years and private car ownership will all but end by 2025

We have built our communities entirely around cars. And for the most part, we’ve built them for cars that aren’t even moving. The average vehicle is used only 4% of the time and parked the other 96%. Lyft’s Vision for the Next Ten Years and Beyond is provided by Lyft co-founder John Zimmer at Medium.com. …

Read more

List of those with the most Employees

BBC News looks at who has the most employees The US Department of Defense has most then the Chinese army and then Walmart and MacDonalds. Foxconn became notorious in 2010 when news spread that 10 of its workers had committed suicide. Although these deaths were tragic, an understanding of how massive an employer the company …

Read more

Japan Makes Seat Cushion Sized Amoeboid Blob-like Robot

A new blob-like robot described in the journal Advanced Robotics uses springs, feet, “protoplasm” and a distributed nervous system to move in a manner inspired by the slime mold Physarum polycepharum. Umedachi’s goal isn’t simply to create a new kind of locomotion, however. He’s exploring the way in which robots that lack a centralized command …

Read more

DOE funds new wind turbine designs and systems including two superconducting systems

The Department of Energy awarded nearly $7.5 million to help develop next generation wind turbines. Each project has been selected to receive up to $700,000 to conduct technology cost and readiness assessments during Phase I. Following the six-month Phase I funding period, several of the projects will be selected for award negotiations of up to …

Read more

Deep-sea mud in the Pacific Ocean as a potential resource for rare-earth elements

Distribution of average ΣREY contents for surface sediments (less than 2 meter in depth) in the Pacific Ocean. Nature Geoscience – Deep-sea mud in the Pacific Ocean as a potential resource for rare-earth elements World demand for rare-earth elements and the metal yttrium—which are crucial for novel electronic equipment and green-energy technologies—is increasing rapidly. Several types …

Read more

MIT Led Team Envisions Planes that use 70% Less Fuel for 2035 and Near Term 50% Fuel Savings

Ad Support : Nano Technology   Netbook    Technology News    Computer Software MIT reports NASA has the next generation Plus three (planes for 2035) project whose objective is to develop concepts for, and evaluate the potential of, quieter subsonic commercial planes that would burn 70% less fuel and emit 75% less NOx than today’s commercial planes. [Note updated …

Read more

Advance in separating carbon nanotubes brings space elevators a step closer

Carbon nanotubes are very strong and light and can be 100 times stronger than the equivalent weight of steel. Carbon nanotubes bearing the same qualities can interlock with one another. But until now, no one had figured out a way to identify and separate nanotubes according to their properties. Papadimitrakopoulos and his team at the …

Read more

DNA origami based nanomachine for future microsurgery and neuro-imaging sensors and direct cellular interaction

Shrink-wrapped nanomachinesMaking a device that operates at a scale 1000 times smaller than a human hair requires many molecular parts. A combination of DNA, silver, gold and fat molecules called liposomes are just some of the parts that will power and control a nanodevice designed to work like a remote controlled pacemaker to deliver an …

Read more

Enhancing magnetic sail launches using Light weight high volume magnet production

In theory, it is possible for a magnetic sail to launch directly from the surface of a planet near one of its magnetic poles, repelling itself from the planet’s magnetic field. However, this requires the magnetic sail to be maintained in its “unstable” orientation. A launch from Earth requires superconductors with 80 times the current …

Read more