A recent theory for cold fusion is that deuteron stripping reactions (1935 discovery by Oppenheimer) are occurring with Nickel-64 isotope. This would produce 8 MeV for each reaction for the 1% of the nickel that is nickel-64. 80,000 eV for each atom of nickel. 1250 times more energy density by weight than any chemical reaction.
Rossi has claimed that they will make a one megawatt power plant by the end of this year and a 300,000 unit a year manufacturing plant in Xanthi will follow in 2012-2013. Assuming those are the smaller units which need 300 for each MW, then they would have a 1 gigawatt/year plant. A 1 gigawatt/year plant could not have any reliability issues that have plagued prior LENR work. If they are real then there would be fairly rapid scaling up from the 1 gigawatt/year plants. There would be major energy delivery impact by 2015-2017.
Lewis G. Larsen developed a theory of LENRs (WLT) that explains ALL the evidence and along with Dr. Alan Widom published their theory in Eur. Phys. J. C (2006)
• WLT is the 1st theory to not require “New Physics”.
• It relies on the Weak Nuclear force which:
* Produces a neutron via electron capture
* Does not have a Coulomb barrier to overcome
• The theory combines QED, Condensed Matter, Nuclear, and Plasma Physics
LENR (low energy nuclear reactions) IS NOT “COLD FUSION”
New Aviation Missions with Successful LENR
All transportation and energy would be hugely impacted. Planes, cars, space travel, world economic growth and everything else.
• Increase in capability results in new applications
Mini -Micro -Nano air vehicles
• Sensor swarms/meshes
• Package delivery
• Huge implications for ATC
Personal Air Vehicles
• Performance equates to increased safety
• Performance fully enables true point-to-point
• Greatly extended range (Local -> Global!)
• Huge implications for ATC
• Unlimited loiter
• Enhanced mobility with a reduction of supply logistics
• Horizontal take-off access to orbit
Brian Wang is a Futurist Thought Leader and a popular Science blogger with 1 million readers per month. His blog Nextbigfuture.com is ranked #1 Science News Blog. It covers many disruptive technology and trends including Space, Robotics, Artificial Intelligence, Medicine, Anti-aging Biotechnology, and Nanotechnology.
Known for identifying cutting edge technologies, he is currently a Co-Founder of a startup and fundraiser for high potential early-stage companies. He is the Head of Research for Allocations for deep technology investments and an Angel Investor at Space Angels.
A frequent speaker at corporations, he has been a TEDx speaker, a Singularity University speaker and guest at numerous interviews for radio and podcasts. He is open to public speaking and advising engagements.