New Energy Times Dr Dennis Bushnell (chief scientist at NASA’s Langley Research Center) wrote “We [NASA Langley] are NOT doing a Rossi Replication attempt although we are using/ had planned to use H2 and Nickel. We are doing experiments to verify, or not, the W-L [Widom Larsen ] theory.”
“Our experiments are based upon the earlier Piantelli-Focardi work, which were some of the better bits extant,” Bushnell wrote. “But we are trying to core down on the theory, as well as utilize it for system optimization. We are not trying to do a net energy demo at all, we are simply trying to make sure there is a valid theoretical understanding.”
Bushnell told New Energy Times that their LENR experimental approach is based on the nickel-hydrogen research of Francesco Piantelli, retired from the University of Siena, and Sergio Focardi, retired from the University of Bologna.
The theory NASA is evaluating is the “Ultra-Low-Momentum Neutron Catalyzed Theory of LENRs” developed by Allan Widom and Lewis Larsen.
Lewis G. Larsen developed a theory of LENRs (WLT) that explains ALL the evidence and along with Dr. Alan Widom published their theory in Eur. Phys. J. C (2006)
• WLT is the 1st theory to not require “New Physics”.
• It relies on the Weak Nuclear force which:
* Produces a neutron via electron capture
* Does not have a Coulomb barrier to overcome
• The theory combines QED, Condensed Matter, Nuclear, and Plasma Physics
LENR (low energy nuclear reactions) IS NOT “COLD FUSION”
Widom Larsen Theory Overview
p + e* ⇒n +⎯υe Inhibited by 0.78MeV
• e* is a “heavy electron” allowed by QED -requires high electric fields (~1011V/m or 10V/Å)
• High fields result from a breakdown of the Born-Oppenheimer Approximation via a coupling of Surface Plasmon Polaritons to a collective proton resonance in the metal hydride.
• The result is an Ultra Low Momentum Neutron which is rapidly absorbed by nearby nuclei.
• Subsequent decays release significant energy.
• Select impurities/catalysts determine the overall energetics
New Aviation Design Metrics with Successful LENR
• Fuel mass and volume are negligible:
* Mass is essentially constant from take-off to landing
* Increase in payload as percentage of TOW
* Optimizations for increased landing weight
• Increase in performance
* Energetics favorable for supersonic cruise
* Greatly extended range/capacity for rotorcraft
• Overall reduction in mass opens up the micro and nano vehicle design space
New Aviation Missions with Successful LENR
• Increase in capability results in new applications
Mini -Micro -Nano air vehicles
• Sensor swarms/meshes
• Package delivery
• Huge implications for ATC
Personal Air Vehicles
• Performance equates to increased safety
• Performance fully enables true point-to-point
• Greatly extended range (Local -> Global!)
• Huge implications for ATC
• Unlimited loiter
• Enhanced mobility with a reduction of supply logistics
• Horizontal take-off access to orbit
Brian Wang is a Futurist Thought Leader and a popular Science blogger with 1 million readers per month. His blog Nextbigfuture.com is ranked #1 Science News Blog. It covers many disruptive technology and trends including Space, Robotics, Artificial Intelligence, Medicine, Anti-aging Biotechnology, and Nanotechnology.
Known for identifying cutting edge technologies, he is currently a Co-Founder of a startup and fundraiser for high potential early-stage companies. He is the Head of Research for Allocations for deep technology investments and an Angel Investor at Space Angels.
A frequent speaker at corporations, he has been a TEDx speaker, a Singularity University speaker and guest at numerous interviews for radio and podcasts. He is open to public speaking and advising engagements.