CIO publishes the PC world predictions for the next big thing in tech. The list is ok, but several will take many years to have impact.
* Smartphones Will Replace Desktops. Tablets, smartphones and ultrabooks are crushing the traditional desktop computers
* Battery technology announced in September by the National University of Singapore reportedly will hold 20 times the charge of a traditional lithium ion battery and be ten times cheaper This will take many years to commercialize and scale up.
* Augmented reality – mostly found in smartphone apps, as a convenient way to display info for user, but could come to car windshields and windows in homes eventually
* Health Tech – there are eight different health tech companies on the 2011 Wall Street Journal list of the top 50 venture funded companies.
* Living room tech after Xbox, Roku and other devices. Apple TV and other new devices
* Speech Recognition/Interface. Upgrades to Siri and Google’s speech recognition systems
* 3D Printing
Brian Wang is a Futurist Thought Leader and a popular Science blogger with 1 million readers per month. His blog Nextbigfuture.com is ranked #1 Science News Blog. It covers many disruptive technology and trends including Space, Robotics, Artificial Intelligence, Medicine, Anti-aging Biotechnology, and Nanotechnology.
Known for identifying cutting edge technologies, he is currently a Co-Founder of a startup and fundraiser for high potential early-stage companies. He is the Head of Research for Allocations for deep technology investments and an Angel Investor at Space Angels.
A frequent speaker at corporations, he has been a TEDx speaker, a Singularity University speaker and guest at numerous interviews for radio and podcasts. He is open to public speaking and advising engagements.