The MOD’s research needs the plan also introduces five Capability Visions designed to stimulate new technologies and new uses of existing ones.
• Reducing the burden on the dismounted soldier – challenging industry to lighten the load on a soldier to 25kg while maintaining and improving personal protection levels
• Future Protected Vehicle – lightweight vehicles to achieve the effectiveness and survivability of a main battle tank. (Watch a computer animation of the Future Protected Vehicles in action in a simulated battle scenario.)
• Reducing operational dependency on fossil fuels – finding options for alternative sources of energy supply, management and use in future operations
• Novel Air Concept – a cost effective, reusable uninhabited air system that operates within the urban landscape
• Electronics Defeat – understanding the threats of and to sophisticated electronic systems and information technology and how they can be protected against.