You can lie down in economy seating by using the vertical space where the carry on baggage is Note: this would be useful for future spacecraft as well to achieve relative comfort in relatively tight spaces.
The FLEX-SEAT model provides affordable reclining accommodations for long flights with additional benefits. Some features are superior to conventional Business Class such as: privacy, travel with infants, room for large carry-on luggage. The FLEX-SEAT can increase the density of a conventional Business Class by up to 50% while providing full reclining.
Travel with Infants: no additional ticket seat required for infants. Infant can be placed horizontally beside passenger. This is a vast improvement from having to hold the infant in Economy or in Business class.
Convenient Travel for Overweight Passengers: Complaints from larger passengers, including lawsuits have received media attention in the last years. The FLEX-SEAT allows for grater width. In addition the problem of discomfort to passengers seating beside an a large person is eliminated.
Savings: exponential benefits through the reduction of food service costs.
With the introduction of the FLEX-SEAT there will be less need for food services on overnight flights. Most passengers when departing late in the evening will choose to sleep rather than have a full dinner. Fewer flight attendants needed > fewer seats reserved for crew which will result in more tickets sold
– Leg room for the passenger sitting on the lower level available below the elevated seat
– Reclining space for the elevated seat passenger is available over the feet area of reclined lower passenger
Both upper and lower level passenger benefit from identical reclining position
* Seat pan folds vertically to allow easy access
* Shell protects passengers from encroachment
* Model can provide the same passenger density as Economy Class while delivering superior comfort