Oak Ridge presents its path to exascale computing (17 pages, Oct 2010) Their 20 petaflop machine starts getting built this year and will be done in 2012. There is a path to exaflop machines in about 2018.
Goals to Overcome the Barriers to Exascale
* Power consumption goal: Factor of 5 better than industry Business as Usual (BAU)
* Memory and storage bandwidth goal: Factor of 4 above industry BAU
* Reliability and resiliency goal: Factor of 10 better than industry BAU
* Scalability of systems software goal: Factor of 100 above industry BAU
* Programming models and environments goal: Factor of 10 productivity over today’s mixed models while increasing parallelism in applications by a factor of 1,000
Brian Wang is a Futurist Thought Leader and a popular Science blogger with 1 million readers per month. His blog Nextbigfuture.com is ranked #1 Science News Blog. It covers many disruptive technology and trends including Space, Robotics, Artificial Intelligence, Medicine, Anti-aging Biotechnology, and Nanotechnology.
Known for identifying cutting edge technologies, he is currently a Co-Founder of a startup and fundraiser for high potential early-stage companies. He is the Head of Research for Allocations for deep technology investments and an Angel Investor at Space Angels.
A frequent speaker at corporations, he has been a TEDx speaker, a Singularity University speaker and guest at numerous interviews for radio and podcasts. He is open to public speaking and advising engagements.