Elon Musk and Tesla spell long term goals in the Tesla’s proxy statement. These goals need to be completed by Aug. 18, 2022, in order for Musk to receive various option grant.
The company goals set around Musk’s compensation package are:
* Successful completion of the Model X Engineering Prototype
* Successful completion of the Model X Vehicle Prototype
* Completion of the first Model X Production Vehicle
* Successful completion of the Gen III Engineering Prototype
* Successful completion of the Gen III Vehicle Prototype
* Completion of the first Gen III Production Vehicle
* Gross margin of 30% or more for four consecutive quarters
* Aggregate vehicle production of 100,000 vehicles
* Aggregate vehicle production of 200,000 vehicles
* Aggregate vehicle production of 300,000 vehicles
* Market capitalization of $43.2 billion
The Nummi plant that Tesla took over has the capacity to produce 500,000 cars per year.
Gen III success with a $30,000 to $45,000 car could fill up the remaining production capacity. Gen III will likely be introduced in 2015 or 2016. I think the market cap target could be reached by 2017 if Tesla was selling all 500,000 cars each year. Tesla would also then get another plant or two.
If Tesla accomplishes that goal in nine years it would be 69% the size of today’s BMW brand adjusted for inflation.
Brian Wang is a Futurist Thought Leader and a popular Science blogger with 1 million readers per month. His blog Nextbigfuture.com is ranked #1 Science News Blog. It covers many disruptive technology and trends including Space, Robotics, Artificial Intelligence, Medicine, Anti-aging Biotechnology, and Nanotechnology.
Known for identifying cutting edge technologies, he is currently a Co-Founder of a startup and fundraiser for high potential early-stage companies. He is the Head of Research for Allocations for deep technology investments and an Angel Investor at Space Angels.
A frequent speaker at corporations, he has been a TEDx speaker, a Singularity University speaker and guest at numerous interviews for radio and podcasts. He is open to public speaking and advising engagements.