* Testing, design and validation of the metallic fuel is from 2013-2018
* Regulatory approval will be in the 2014-2018+ timeframe
* First commercial installation will be 1-2 years after regulatory approval
* The increased power generation will have a levelized cost of 20-30$ per MWH which is less than half the cost coal and natural gas and the regular nuclear construction
Lightbridge Corporation is developing an advanced metallic nuclear fuel capable of increasing the power output and extending the cycle length of current-generation light water reactors (LWRs). This paper provides a review of the unique geometry and composition of the metallic fuel and its application to power uprates in LWRs.
* The peer reviewed article to be published in December 2012 provides further validation of LTBR’s fuel technology
* Unique alloy and fuel rod geometry
* Increases power output by up to 17% in existing PWRs
* Extends fuel cycle to 24 months or more, enhancing industry economics
* Increased safety through lower operating temperatures
Brian Wang is a Futurist Thought Leader and a popular Science blogger with 1 million readers per month. His blog Nextbigfuture.com is ranked #1 Science News Blog. It covers many disruptive technology and trends including Space, Robotics, Artificial Intelligence, Medicine, Anti-aging Biotechnology, and Nanotechnology.
Known for identifying cutting edge technologies, he is currently a Co-Founder of a startup and fundraiser for high potential early-stage companies. He is the Head of Research for Allocations for deep technology investments and an Angel Investor at Space Angels.
A frequent speaker at corporations, he has been a TEDx speaker, a Singularity University speaker and guest at numerous interviews for radio and podcasts. He is open to public speaking and advising engagements.