radiation

coalUS nuclear modernization also improved targeting to guarantee destruction of ICBMs in hardened silos

The US has implemented revolutionary new technologies as part of nuclear modernization. These will vastly increase the targeting capability of the US ballistic missile arsenal. This increase in capability is astonishing—boosting the overall killing power of existing US ballistic missile …

energy4 Megawatt modular micro nuclear reactor is in Canadian pre-license review and targets 2025 for demo reactor

The U-Battery consortium, led by Urenco, has registered its micro-modular reactor technology for pre-licensing vendor design review with the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC). U-Battery is a ‘micro’ nuclear reactor which will be able to produce local power and heat …

carnival of nuclear energyTowards roll to roll graphene production

An innovative new cheap and simple mass production technique, developed by the University of Exeter, is set to open up the global potential of the ‘wonder’ material graphene. A team of engineers from Exeter’s Centre for Graphene Science have developed …

darpaMost of Lyft cars will be autonomous in just 5 years and private car ownership will all but end by 2025

We have built our communities entirely around cars. And for the most part, we’ve built them for cars that aren’t even moving. The average vehicle is used only 4% of the time and parked the other 96%. Lyft’s Vision for …

materialsZika Virus link to shrunken baby brains confirmed and the case for delaying the Olympic games in Brazil

The Zika virus could spread to Europe this summer, although the likelihood of an outbreak is low to moderate, the World Health Organization has said. Areas most at risk are those where Aedes mosquitoes may spread the virus, like the …

brazilIsrael will heavily modify their F35 fighters and could adapt stealth and other F15 Silent Eagle modification to all of its older F15 fighters

Israel is working with Lockheed Martin and the F-35 Joint Program Office to maximize autonomy of its planned stealth fighter force, including its own command, control, communications and computing (C4) system, indigenous weaponry and the ability to perform heavy maintenance …

cold war historyDisruptive advanced nuclear design is in pre-licensing design review

Terrestrial Energy announced that it is submitting its Integral Molten Salt Reactor (IMSR) design to the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC) for Phase I of its pre-licensing Vendor Design Review. During the course of this review, which is an optional …

carnival of nuclear energyNew way to measure crop yields from space

A Stanford-led team has used satellites to measure a special light emitted by plants to estimate crop yields with more accuracy than ever before. This advance will help scientists study how crops respond to climate change. Researchers are turning to …

cloudPaper-based test could diagnose hepatitis B and assess male fertility for less than $1

Scientists have developed a new paper device that analyzes DNA and could rapidly and inexpensively assess disparate conditions including hepatitis B and male infertility, which together affect millions of people around the world. The test, reported in the Journal of …

carnival of nuclear energyRussia has submarines that are competitive with the US Seawolf subs

Rear Adm. Dave Johnson, Naval Sea Systems Command’s (NAVSEA) program executive officer (PEO) submarines has a model of Russian nuclear guided missile submarine (Severodvinsk) placed outside his office in a common area so that he could look at it every …